It's our place bellambi
It's Our Place Bellambi began in 2015 with the development of a Community Action Plan for individuals and local organisations to become involved in. The Action Plan was based on extensive community consultation, with the community coming together to offer individual and collective ideas and aspirations.
The Bellambi community identified and categorised priority actions under four key themes:
- Safety and the Physical Environment
- Connections, Support and Inclusive Communities
- Learning, Education and Employment
- Community Focused Services.
Since the Bellambi Community Action Plan came into being in 2015, the cross-sector It's Our Place Illawarra Shoalhaven team has coordinated, facilitated and enabled completion of a range of Action Plan initiatives and activities.
Action Plan outcomes include:
- establish community safety group; community safety audits and regular graffiti removal projects
- pathways/connections for families with babies to access health services and programs
- domestic violence mentoring program
- engaged Bunnings with local services and schools to provide information/advice on employment opportunities
- Imagination Library with preschool-aged children
- Schools Transition Expo.
In October 2018 It's Our Place Bellambi began working towards formulating the Community Action Plan for the second phase of the work, having completed the 123 actions on the initial Action Plan. Conversations with the Bellambi community have shown that residents have noticed significant changes in the area since 2015. Most notably, the and significant improvement in appearance of the physical environment and the increased sense of safety.
“I’ve been taking my kids down to the beach more lately. I can’t quite put my finger on it, maybe something’s been cleared up down there, I’m not sure, it just feels more friendly.” Vickie, Bellambi resident